I made this cute comic because I’ve been writing a lot of clojure(/script) and people have been asking me about it so I’ve been introducing it a lot, and also holy crap a friend gifted me a graphics tablet over the weekend and I am finally reunited with digital art aaah :D :D :D
For those following along at home on shitty internet connections or screen readers or are struggling to parse my funky handwriting, I’ve transcribed the comic below!
(clojure says ♥, and clojurescript says ♥_BANG_ because alas, it has gone through the transpiler).
(here I drew a lisp family tree, except the tree is an octopus)
(here I drew clojure as a mushroom, also a symbiote, whispering sweet interops into the ear of the JVM).
(I can’t believe I just spent my evening drawing clojure as various mushrooms…)
Lots of people like emacs.
I use Atom.
As long as you’ve got something automatically minding your parens (e.g. parinfer or paredit) it’s probably fine. (here I drew a thumbs up, except the thumb is a face, and the face is saying “nice.”)
(extra note: if you decide to use emacs, don’t try to configure it from scratch like I did the first three times I tried to use emacs. go borrow someone else‘s configuration!)
- lots of mature libraries from java
- JVM abstracts away hardware & OS
- clojure was designed for concurrency!
- lisps are fun to write :D
- functional programming is an interesting way to think
- everything is data in clojure, which is a pattern really suited for some tasks
- macros are powerful and fun!
- community ♥
- people are super friendly
- you can directly talk with a lot of library maintainers and helpful folks in #clojurians slack channel
- cozy local communities, such as in Berlin (:
- it takes a while for your brain to adjust if you are coming from some languages.
- the toolset and build process was a lot to take in at once (I’m still learning it…)
- it’ll probably be a while before you’re comfortable enough to harness the full power of the language.
- it’s really hard to make fan art because there are no animals or puns ):
It’s okay! Just go have fun!
Also I’m super excited because Euroclojure is this week and it’s in Berlin! aaahh see you there?? (if you manage to find me and give me paper I’ll draw you hosting clojure as a mushroom, because I haven’t drawn enough mushrooms this week).